It’s Fall and that means soup season! Living in Austin it doesn’t feel like soup season yet but I’m hoping warm soup will bring cooler temperatures ( a girl can hope).
This soup requires quite a bit of prep, but the cooking time is minimal. The soups creaminess comes from heavy cream simmered with chicken stock ( chicken stock replaced with vegetable stock makes this vegetarian).
When veggies are tender add flour to coat the mix. Add seasoning of white pepper, cayenne, cumin and salt to the liquid.
Poblano Corn Chowder
1 large red onion, diced
3 large carrots, diced
5 stalks of celery, diced
1 1/2 cups red potatoes, diced
2 large poblano peppers, diced
1 large red pepper, diced
1 bag of frozen corn
2-4 tablespoons flour
1 quart of chicken stock
1/2 pint heavy cream
1 teaspoon cumin
1 teaspoon cayenne
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon white pepper
- In a large stockpot saute corn, onion, carrots, potatoes, and peppers in a small amount of olive oil. Continue cooking till veggies are softened.
- In a separate saucepan combine chicken stock, heavy cream and spices, cook till simmering.
- Add flour liberally to veggie mixture until all pieces are coated.
- Slowly pour the cream mixture into the veggies until all are combined.
- Cook until desired thickness.