I replace the traditional tortilla shell with Food Should Taste Good multigrain chips.
I add my secret ingredient to the seasoning (did you guess ketchup, because it’s ketchup). To make your own taco seasoning, add: 3 parts chili powder, 1 part cumin, 1 part garlic powder, 1 part minced dry onion, and 1 part oregano. Combine all ingredients, stir to combine, and store in an air tight jar for up to a year.
Another easy way to save on calories, is to shred Light Babybel Cheese on the salad.
2 romaine hearts, thinly sliced
1 bunch cilantro, roughly chopped
1/2 lb. ground turkey
1/4 cup Taco Seasoning, see recipe above
2 tablespoons ketchup
1 sweet onion, diced
3 cloves garlic, minced
2 jalapeno, finely diced
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 light Babybel cheese
1/2 cup salsa
Multigrain chips, for garnish
- In a deep saute pan, heat oil and add onion, garlic, and jalapeno. Cook till soft. Add ground turkey, cooking till browned.
- Add taco seasoning and ketchup to meat, continue to cook till thick and all flavors are incorporated. Let cool in pan for 5 minutes.
- In two large bowls evenly divide lettuce and cilantro.
- Place multigrain chips around the bowl.
- Scoop 1/2 of taco meat on top of each bowl.
- Shred babybel cheese on top of taco meat.
- Top with salsa.