It’s Apple season!!! Gala, Pink Lady, Sweetango, McIntosh, Jazz, and Granny Smith; oh my. It’s Apple season!!! Being apple season, I dusted off my go to apple crisp recipe. I was shocked at how much sugar was in it 1 1/2 cups!!!
I have to admit though that the main reason I wanted to make apple crisp is because I just bought the adorable Le Creuset ramekins.
My Healthy Apple Crisp
4 medium Apples, peeled, cored and thinly sliced
1 small lemon, juiced
2 teaspoons vanilla
1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
1/2 teaspoons ginger
1/2 teaspoons nutmeg
2 tablespoons evaporated cane juice or white sugar
1/2 cup water
1 cup rolled oats
2 tablespoons whole wheat flour or all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 tablespoon brown sugar
3 tablespoons butter, melted
1 teaspoon sea salt
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Combine apples, lemon juice and water in a large bowl. Toss to coat apples.
- Add spices and sugar to evenly coat apples. Set aside.
- In a separate bowl, combine oats, cinnamon, sugar, salt, and flour; mix lightly with fork. then add melted butter. Stir till crumbly.
- Place apples either in the bottom of 6 small ramekins or an 8 * 8 pan. Pour remaining liquid evenly over apples.
- Top with oat crumbles.
- Bake in preheated oven for 35- 40 minutes, or until brown and crisp on top.
- Cool 5 minutes before serving. Top with a scoop of vanilla or caramel ice cream if desired.