So we have been sick, for days. I have never actually made this soup, so I called Danny’s Mom, Mona, to get the recipe.
There is a trick to peeling an entire head of garlic in just seconds, check out this video.
Mona’s Lentil and Lemon Soup
2 cups dry lentils
12 cups of water
1 head of garlic
6 small white potatoes OR 2 medium potatoes
1 bunch of Swiss chard
1 medium onion, diced
1 tablespoon dried mint
1 tablespoon plus 2 teaspoons sea salt
- In a large stockpot, add lentil and water. Bring to a boil, then cook on medium heat until lentils are soft (about 30 minutes).
- While the lentils are cooking, peel the head of garlic,and place it the mortar with 1 tablespoon of salt and crush with pestle until it is a smooth paste. Add a little more salt in necessary.
- Peel and dice potatoes, set aside.
- Clean Swiss chard and slice into strips approximately 2 inches long, set aside.
- Saute onion with a small amount of olive oil, until soft.
- When lentils are soft, add potatoes. Cook on medium heat, until potatoes are soft ( about 10 minutes)
- Add the Swiss chard, onions, and garlic. Cook for 5 minutes.
- Juice the lemons and add the juice into the pot.
- Add the remaining 2 teaspoons of sea salt and the dried mint.
- Simmer for another 10 minutes and serve.