When I think of fall I think of warm soups, squash, and pumpkin bread. I really love pumpkin bread, but sometimes it can feel a little heavy. The addition of Greek yogurt makes these muffins almost spongy. These muffins though are light, fluffy, and healthy.
Like most muffins, these can easily be made into a quick bread by pouring the batter into a loaf pan or two. These muffins are so easy to make, and so delicious.
Using a scooper to deposit dough into muffin pans is a great way to evenly divide the dough and avoid making a mess.
A small sprinkling of brown sugar, cinnamon and turbinado sugar ( Sugar in the Raw) on top of each muffin gives them a little crunch on top.
With less than 150 calories per muffin, these are the perfect snack, anytime!
Healthy Pumpkin Spice Muffins
adapted from cooking light recipe
Makes 24 muffins
2 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup evaporated cane juice or white sugar
1 tablespoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon ginger
1/2 teaspoon allspice
1 cup canned pumpkin
3/4 cup non-fat Greek yogurt
1/3 cup fat-free milk
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1 egg white
1 tablespoon turbinado sugar ( sugar in the raw)
1 teaspoon brown sugar
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Line two muffins with cupcake liners, or spray with non-stick cooking spray.
- Combine flour, sugar, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, allspice and salt in a medium bowl. Stir to combine dry ingredients. Set aside.
- In a separate bowl combine pumpkin, Greek yogurt, milk, egg, egg white, and oil. Stir until completely combined.
- Slowly add the dry ingredients to the pumpkin mixture, stirring just until evenly moist.
- Spoon or use a scooper to evenly deposit batter into muffin pans.
- Combine turbinado sugar, cinnamon, and brown sugar in a small bowl. Sprinkle sugar mixture on the tops of the muffins.
- Place muffins on the center rack of the oven for 25 minutes or until muffins spring back when touched. Remove muffins from pan immediately and cool on a wire rack.