This cabbage salad or what I call Lebanese Cole Slaw, is the traditional accompaniment to Mona’s Mjadara. If you missed the Mjadara post you should really check it out. You can do it now, I’ll wait.
Back already? Cabbage salad is super simple and very tasty!
When I was taught to make this salad, I was taught to slice the cabbage very thinly by hand. I am not very good at getting it thin enough. Recently though I discovered that I could use a mandoline to shred the cabbage super fine, with little effort. This discovery is a HUGE timesaver!
Serve with Mjadara!
Cabbage Salad with Garlic and Mint
1 head of green cabbage
3 cloves of garlic
2 teaspoons of salt
1/4 cup olive oil
2 teaspoons of dried mint
- Quarter cabbage, shred cabbage very thinly using a mandoline or knife. Put cabbage into a large bowl.
- In mortar place 3 cloves of garlic with the salt. Mash garlic until it is a smooth creamy paste.
- Spoon garlic into a jar, add olive oil and squeeze in 1-2 lemons (depending of how juicy they are).
- Add dried mint to jar.
- Place the lid on the jar and shake.
- Pour the dressing onto the cabbage. Using only what you will eat in one day.