It is definitely time for some comfort food. After being sick for a week and the weather getting cooler, I feel deserving of something a little decadent. I have never made chicken pot pies before, but it gave me a great excuse to buy those Le Creuset mini casseroles I have had my eye on.
They are just so darn cute! So with my 5×5 baking dishes ready, I just needed a recipe. I thought about this for quite a while. My first thought was to make a healthy chicken pot pie. On further consideration I decided that I deserved and needed true comfort food. So I decided to throw healthy out the window for this one.
Chicken Pot Pie
adapted from Cooking Light
3 cups low-sodium chicken stock
1 1/2 cup frozen peas, thawed
10 fingerling potatoes, diced or 1 cup of diced potato
2 parsnips, diced
1 carrot, diced
1 large sweet onion, diced
1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breast; diced in 1 inch pieces
2/3 cup flour
1 1/2 cup fat free milk
2 teaspoon thyme
2 teaspoon black pepper
1 teaspoon sea salt
a pinch of red pepper flakes
1 sheet frozen puff pastry
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Remove the puff pastry sheet from freezer and allow to thaw at room temperature.
- Bring stock to boil in a large pot.
- Add peas, potatoes, parsnips, and onion to the stock, reduce heat and simmer for about 6 minutes.
- Add chicken and cook for another 5 minutes or until chicken is done.
- Using a slotted spoon, remove the chicken and veggies to a bowl, leaving just the stock.
- Add flour to a small bowl, slowly add the milk and whisk until completely smooth.
- Increase heat to medium and add the milk mixture to the stock. Cook for 5 minutes or until thickened, stirring frequently.
- Stir in chicken mixture and spices, and remove from heat.
- Spoon the mixture even into either 4- 5×5 casseroles or an 11×7 casserole.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll the puff pastry out so that it will cover the casserole.
- Place the puff pastry on the casserole tucking into the edges. Cut small slits in the pastry to allow steam to escape.
- Place casserole on a baking sheet. Put casserole in the preheated oven and bake for around 16 minutes or until crust is golden and flaky.
- Allow to sit 5 minutes before serving.