This salad will knock your socks off, and maybe change your mind about raw kale. The inspiration for this salad came from a kale salad that I tried a few months ago. The original salad though was way too sweet and had a bit too much oil. So this is a healthier remake of a healthy salad.
I choose fresh squeezed orange juice for the base of the dressing. To that I added minced ginger, Tamari, rice vinegar, toasted sesame oil, olive oil, garlic chili paste, and black sesame seeds.
The key to making this salad super tasty is to thoroughly coat the kale with the dressing. Top with roasted Pepitas, dried cranberries and raw blanched slivered almonds. Once combined the salad should sit for at least 30 minutes for the best taste.
Orange Sesame Kale Salad
makes 6 side salad servings
- 1 bunch of Curly Kale
- 8 ounces orange juice
- 2 teaspoons toasted sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1 tablespoon gluten free Tamari
- 2 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon garlic chili paste
- 1 tablespoon minced ginger
- 2 tablespoons black sesame seeds (toasted or white will work as well)
- 3 tablespoons organic extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup toasted Pepitas
- 1/4 cup dried cranberries
- 1/4 cup raw, blanched slivered almonds
- Wash kale, remove the thick rib and tear into bite size pieces. Place kale into a large bowl.
- In a separate small bowl add orange juice, sesame oil, honey, tamari, rice wine vinegar, garlic chili paste, minced ginger, and olive oil. Whisk until thoroughly combined.
- Pour dressing over the kale and toss until all the kale is coated.
- Top the salad with the pepitas, cranberries, and almonds.
- Let salad sit in fridge for at least 30 minutes before serving.