I just picked the first eggplant of the season!!! With an abundance of basil and my freshly picked eggplant in hand I figured it was time to make some eggplant roll-ups.
I had a hard time getting a beautiful finished picture, but let me tell you this dish is delicious!
After lightly frying the eggplant, spread each slice of eggplant with this wonderfully creamy ricotta and fresh herb mix.
Roll it up and place it in a pan.
Top it off with fresh mozzarella slices and some grated Parmesan and pop it in the oven.
- 2 medium eggplants; 1- 1/2 inch thick slices
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 1/2 cup ricotta cheese
- 1 egg, slightly beaten
- 1 cup fresh basil, chiffonade cut
- 2 tablespoon fresh oregano, roughly chopped
- 2 cup tomato sauce, homemade or store bought
- 6 ounces fresh mozzarella, sliced thin
- 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese, finely grated
preheat oven 350 degrees
- Heat half the olive oil in a heavy saute pan, when oil is hot add eggplant slices in single layer. Cook around 4 minutes each side or until lightly browned. Remove from pan and place on a paper towel line plate. Repeat until all eggplant has been cooked.
- Using a medium size bowl combine ricotta cheese, herbs and egg, stir to combine.
- In a 9 x 13 baking pan thinly cover the bottom with tomato sauce and basil leaves.
- Take each eggplant slice and thinly spread with the ricotta mixture. Roll the eggplant up and place in the pan. Repeat with the remaining slices.
- Use the remaining tomato sauce to spoon over the eggplant rolls, place on piece of fresh mozzarella on each roll, and then cover all with the Parmesan cheese.
- Place pan in the preheated oven and bake for 20 minutes or until cheese is melted and bubbly.
- Let eggplant rest for at least 5 minutes before serving.