It has been such a busy and exciting week! Last Monday was my first day as an official Foodie, and I couldn’t be happier with my new position. Thursday I was able to make and demonstrate a really wonderful summer recipe that featured mangoes and cucumbers. I wish I would have had my camera to take some shots because the recipe turned out better than expected, I will try to re-create it here in a couple of days.
The combination of Manchego, lime and roasted corn is so good you might be tempted to eat the bowl yourself. But please share with someone you love, they’ll thank you for it!
The lime adds a bite to the creamy, cheesy deliciousness of the corn. Take this dish to any party and it will be gone instantly.
Manchego Corn with Lime
adapted from Bon Appetit
- 6 ears yellow sweet corn, unhusked
- 2 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoon butter
- salt and pepper to taste
- juice from one lime
- 1/2 cup Manchego cheese, grated
- 1/4 cup chives, minced
- In a 450 degree oven or on a grill, roast corn for about 15 minutes, until corn is crisp tender.
- Allow corn to cool, unhusk, and cut kernels from the cob.
- In a large skillet heat the oil and then add the corn, saute corn until it is lightly browned in spots, about 3-5 minutes.
- Add butter to the corn and stir until butter is melted. Season with salt and pepper and remove from heat.
- Transfer corn to a serving bowl. Add lime juice, cheese and chives, toss gently to coat.
Quinoa is fast becoming a staple in this house. Not only is it a complete protein, it is also loaded with fiber, iron, and calcium. And best of all quinoa is gluten free!
This salad tastes like summer. The inspiration for this salad is the abundance of red bell peppers and cilantro in my garden. I paired my peppers with fresh roasted corn and black beans.
The sauce for this salad is simply apple cider vinegar and olive oil. It perfectly enhances the flavors of the season in this salad.
I used half black quinoa and half plain quinoa, in an effort to increase the color appeal of the salad, but any quinoa will work.
Serve this salad hot or cold!
Mexican Quinoa Salad
serves 4 entree salads
1 cup quinoa
1 1/2 cup water
1 red bell pepper, diced
1 medium sweet onion, diced
1 1/2 cup fresh corn, roasted and removed from cob
1 can black beans, rinsed and drained
2 tablespoon olive oil
1/3 cup apple cider vinegar
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon fresh cracked pepper
lime wedges, optional
- In a medium saucepan add quinoa and water. Cook uncovered until water is boiling, cover and cook on low heat for 20 minutes; or until no water remains.
- In a deep saute or large saucepan add olive oil, heat oil on high heat until oil shimmers. Add onion and red bell peppers, cook until soft; around 4 minutes. Then, add in corn and black beans and reduce heat to medium.
- Pour apple cider vinegar over the veggie mixture and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- When quinoa is done, add it to the veggie mixture and stir to combine.
- Remove from heat, either serve immediately or chill for an hour and serve cold.
- Just before serving add cilantro and squeeze a little lime on top.