You may not be aware of this but I know a thing or two about cookies. I had a cookie company a few years ago and made delicious cookies for coffee shops. Before starting my gluten free diet chocolate chip cookies were always my favorite. And though I have had many gluten free desserts, I had not had a good chocolate chip cookie, until now. I know that claiming these are “the best” gluten free chocolate chip cookies is a bold move. But give these cookies to anyone and I doubt they would be able to tell they are gluten free. These cookies really are the closest to conventional flour cookies I have had.
Use an ice cream scoop to ensure that cookies are all the same size and shape, which allows for even baking.
These cookies have the perfect combination of crispy outside and chewy inside.
Try these cookies, you will thank me!
The Best Gluten Free Chocolate Chip Cookies
adapted from Alton Brown’s gluten free chocolate chip cookies
makes 24 cookies
- 2 sticks butter, melted
- 2 cup brown rice flour
- 1/4 cup gluten free cornstarch
- 2 tablespoon tapioca flour
- 1 teaspoon xanthan gum
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 cup evaporated cane juice
- 1 1/4 cup light brown sugar
- 1 whole egg
- 1 egg yolk
- 2 tablespoon almond milk
- 2 teaspoon vanilla bean paste or vanilla
- 1 heaping cup semisweet chocolate chips
Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Prepare 2 baking sheets lined with parchment paper.
- Pour melted butter in a stand mixer bowl or a large mixing bowl. Using the paddle attachment beat the melted butter while adding in both sugars. Beat until completely creamy.
- In a separate small bowl sift together the rice flour, corn starch, tapioca flour, xanthan gum, salt and baking soda.
- Add eggs in one at a time while the mixer is on low speed. Then add in milk and vanilla, mix a full minute.
- Slowly start adding the flours, mixing until completely combined.
- Add chocolate chips and stir to combine.
- Using an ice cream scoop or a tablespoon place rounded dough balls on prepared cookie sheet. Leave 2 inches between each cookie.
- Bake for 6 minutes, rotate cookie sheets and bake another 6 minutes or until cookies are golden brown on the edges.
- Remove from oven, let cookies sit on cookie sheet for 5 minutes before removing to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Try not to eat them all in one day.